Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Lowdown, and the Countdown.


When I was creating this blog, I was faced with a minor dilemma. What to name it... I tried to be witty, and play around with words that could include my name- but then it all just came out sounding tacky. Which, actually, if you know me probably would have suited just perfectly. But then I thought about why I was writing this blog.

Bali.

Yep- I am leaving my hometown of Adelaide, Australia, to live (just for a month, don't get too sad Adelaide) in a small, mountain village in Bali. There, I am going to be spending my days teaching English to children at a newly established community language school called "Starfish Language Centre".

Now, I am by no means claiming that this trip (or specifically, this blog) will be interesting to anybody reading out there in cyber space. Nope, this is simply about giving myself something to do. I like being around people, so I am sure that some point in time during my trip I will get lonely/bored and I hope this blog gives me something to do. Oh, and perhaps my Mum and Dad will check here to make sure I'm still alive. :)

So, that's basically it for the time being. I still have exactly 162 days until I leave, and any other blog postings I do before then are likely to be about planning the trip, or simply procrastinating from uni studies.

Ah, and to answer that question- Why frangipani and clove? Well... I thought about my last two trips to Bali, and one of the lasting memories was that sweet and enchanting smell. So unique to bali, that I can easily smell it on pieces of clothing worn by people when they get back. Or sometimes just a waft inside of my luggage. Perfect!

No comments: