Saturday, December 25, 2010

Happy Proclamation Day!

I've been looking forward to today for quite a while. Nope, not the 25th. I mean today, the 26th- Proclamation Day in Adelaide, Boxing Day in the other states. And no, I hate cricket so that is not the reason I promise. But I doubt I'm alone in saying that today is definitely a winner of a day.

Sure Christmas is great. Catching up with family and friends, having some drinks and eating tasty food all day- it's almost always a good combination for my family anyway.But the 26th is the day we can all just relax, sleep in, nap on the couch get over the hangover, eat left overs, get out the gifts and really enjoy them... Yup, it's just as good as Christmas only without the stress of driving and remembering everything and making sure everything runs smoothly. The pressure is over, and now we can all just veg out. There is a resounding "ahhhhh" throughout the house.

Now that New Years is only a matter of days away, my trip is also approaching very quickly. 36 days to be exact! I think I might spend these couple of days off organising some of the smaller stuff so that it doesn't all creep up on me at the last minute. I got a great tip from one of my Mum's best friends (I might as well call her my second Mum really) which is basically a whole drawer dedicated to "Bali Stuff" so that when it comes to packing the luggage, you can just empty the drawer in and you're all done! I reckon I have a spare drawer that I can use... thanks Inge! :)

The boyfriend and I also just bought ourselves a brand-spanking-new camera for Christmas and thanks to the tips my fantastically talented Aunty Paula has been passing down (and the recommendation for the camera itself) I'm starting to feel kinda confident behind the lens. I hope I can keep learning about it so I can take some decent pics in Bali, and you'll all be able to see them on here. 'All' pretty much meaning you Mum...

All for now. I hope everybody had a really great Christmas and stay safe for the rest of the holiday season! xx

2 comments:

Paula McManus said...

Hi Kate!!!!

Love your blog - I cant wait to read all about your Bali adventures and to see your pics too!!

What an amazing adventure you're about to have!

Paula xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the link :) Not long now.
Aww..Yep get that Bali drawer filled up.

Just had a quick look at the festivals in Feb. You will have Kuningan when you are there.

"Kuningan Ceremony - in early February, spanning ten days and signifying the end of the new year holiday. Yellow rice is offered and temples are beautified to bade farewell to the gods".

We have been there at the beginning of New Year and I will email the pictures.

We've been there just before Nyepi (early March)and seen huge paper mache statues to put on the beach for Nyepi, hopefully you will get to see them making some or just see them around when travelling.


Bali Events and Festivals in February - Bali, Indonesia, ID

Kuningan Ceremony - in early February, spanning ten days and signifying the end of the new year holiday. Yellow rice is offered and temples are beautified to bade farewell to the gods

Bali Events and Festivals in
March - Bali, Indonesia, ID

Melasti - precedes Nyepi and is the loud part of the two-day event, where well-dressed villagers offer flowers and fruit and holy men sacrifice pigs
Nyepi - the quiet day after Melasti welcomes the beginning of the lunar year with a silent vigil to fool the spirits. Bali's airport is closed on Nyepi
Galungan - the Balinese gods descend to earth during Galungan, a major festival of the Pawukon calendar each March, celebrating the good Dharma over the evil Adharma

xx Inge